If you are searching for a Windows explorer alternative, you have landed at the right place. Here I am going to describe the best file manager for PC (Windows 10, 8, 7, and Windows 11).
Most of these file management software are available for free and have advanced features.
What to Look Out For in a Good file explorer for PC?
There are some points that you should consider before downloading an external Windows file manager for your PC:
- The program should be lightweight.
- Interesting and easy-to-use user interface.
- If the software is paid it should provide a free trial version.
- It should be able to play multimedia files.
- You should be able to find tutorials and guide on how to use the software.
- The developer should provide technical support.
Top 10 Windows Explorer Alternatives and The Best File Managers For Windows
- File Voyager
- Total Commander
- Directory Opus
- File Commander
- One Commander
1. File Voyager
File Voyager is a very nice dual pane file management software and an alternative for Windows file explorer. The software is available for free and has very nice features.
Here are the main features of this file explorer for PC:
- Easily browser folders, files, disks, archives, etc.
- Using this file organizer you can browse in multiple ways.
- It has basic features that a file explorer should have i.e. move, copy, recycle, delete, rename, link, etc.
- It has a Hash tool to provide you with malware reports.
- The software can access zip files.
- The software to manage files is able to navigate to FTP servers.
- Using this tool you can unpack popular zip file extensions.
- Play audio and videos.
FileVoyager is an advanced tool that helps you explore files efficiently and is compatible with Windows 10 and earlier versions.
2. Total Commander
This is another file manager for PC. This software is shareware. Shareware is software that is available free for some period or free with limited features. For full features, you can purchase the full version.
Here are the main features of this Windows explorer alternative:
- The file organizer is available in multiple languages.
- It has a very efficient search function.
- The file manager can compare files.
- You can batch rename files with this software.
- It supports plugins to handle ZIP, 7ZIP, etc.
- It has built-in support for FTP clients
Total Commander is freely available for 30 days after this period you will have to upgrade to the full version if you want to keep using this software.
3. File Commander
Developed by MobiSystem File Commander is one of the best file managers for Windows PC. This file explorer is also available for Android users. The file organizer program is also available in the pro version.
Here are the main features of this software to manage files on Windows PC:
- Using this program you can organize your local files as well as remote files.
- The program is capable of optimizing your storage space.
- You can link all of your cloud accounts and manage them in one place.
- The software also works as a robust file converter, it can convert files into 100 formats.
- You can manage files at local networks and FTP locations.
- Analyze your storage space with the help of Storage Analyzer.
- The file management tool also has a Secure Mode to hide or encrypt files.
- It has a recycle bin feature to manage and restore deleted files.
- You will get 5GB of storage in the free version and 50 GB of storage in the premium version.
This is a feature-rich Windows explorer alternative. The software is available in free and premium versions. The premium version of this software is available for $29.99.
Q-Dir is one of the best file manager software for Windows 10 PC. You can install this software or use it as a portable Windows program. It can access any storage device or network folders. Using this PC file manager program is very easy.
Here are the main features of this file organizer software:
- It has a quick access option for the folder that you frequently use.
- The file management software has a drag-and-drop feature.
- The Windows explorer alternative has different types of views i.e. thumbnail, list, icons, details, icons, etc.
- You can magnify anything on the screen.
- The file organizer software shows different files in different colors.
- The quick preview option is amazing.
Q-Dir is a very nice software. The website is not so good looking but the software has amazing features.
5. Directory Opus
This is one of the best alternatives to Windows explorer. The software contains many advanced features which makes it the best software to manage files on Windows 10 and earlier versions.
Here are the main features of this file explorer software:
- It can show files in the dual pane and single pane.
- The file manager program for PC supports folder trees.
- You can access, 7Zip and RAR files using this software.
- The free file organizer tool also works as a metadata editor.
- You can download this free file explorer in 32 and 64-bit versions.
- It also offers batch file renaming features.
This is a very nice Windows 10 file explorer alternative available. For more advanced features you can upgrade to Directory Opus Light.
This is an open-source and best free file explorer for Windows 10 and older versions. You can download this Windows file manager software in 32 and 64-bit versions.
This is a lightweight file management program that can access files very fast.
Here are the features of this Windows App to Manage Files:
- It is a portable PC file manager.
- You can easily access multiple folders with tabbed browsing.
- It lets you see a preview of selected files.
- You can access this Windows file explorer alternative with keyboard shortcuts.
- It is possible to customize the UI of this software.
- You can merge or split files with this tool.
- The file explorer program can bookmark the desired tabs.
- This Windows 10 file manager program supports different types of views i.e. list, thumbnail, detail, tile, etc.
This is the best free software to explore and manage files on Windows 10 and other versions. The best feature of this tool is the customizable user interface.
SpeedCommander is a Windows file manager for PC. The software is available in free and pro versions. You can access the free version for 60 days. You can download this Windows 10 file explorer in 32 and 64-bit.
Here are the main features of this PC file management program:
- This Windows file explorer alternative supports a dual-pane view.
- You can customize this program.
- Using this PC file manager app you can access 13 archive formats.
- SpeedCommander lets you view over 80 file formats.
- In the pro version, you can access cloud storage directly.
This is a very efficient File management program for Windows 10 PC. The pro version also has a DVD-burning feature.
This is one of the best file management programs for Windows, Linux, and Mac. This is a dual-pane Windows explorer alternative.
Here are the main features of this PC file manager program:
- Fman has basic file-organizing features.
- You can control this software with keyboard shortcuts.
- Also, you can operate this file manager for PC using commands.
- Just click on Ctrl+Shift+P and you will see the tutorial to use this program.
- If you download this software on Mac then you will get automatic updates.
- The program supports plug-ins to enhance usability.
You can download this PC file organizer program for multiple platforms. Accessing this software is very easy because you can operate this program with Keyboard shortcuts and commands.
9. One Commander
Once Commander is a very nice file manager app for Windows 11 and Windows10. The software does not support Windows 10S. Once Commander is also available in a portable version.
Here are the main features of this PC file management program:
- The file organizer does not show ads even in the free version.
- It also supports dual tab and column navigation.
- You can use this software in dark and light themes.
- The file commander supports batch file operations.
- The program lets you operate with the keyboard.
- The software can show you the metadata of files.
- Using this tool you can convert images into popular file formats.
- It has built-in 7 Zip to unpack zip files.
The Windows file explorer alternative is available in the portable version and the Microsoft Store version. Both are free for home use but for commercial use, they will cost $12 and $24.99 respectively.
Last but not least file management program for PC is ExplorerMax. It is compatible with almost all versions of Windows i.e. Windows 11, Windows 10, and older versions.
Here are the main features of this software:
- ExplorerMax is available in multiple languages.
- It has a tabbed browsing feature that lets you browse the folders easily.
- Using this software you can find your browsing history of the folders and files that you have opened.
- It has a very quick search engine.
- ExplorerMax is capable of accessing files in Dual Pane.
- The software can work in light and dark modes.
This is a very efficient software that is available for free. It also provides a pro version which you can upgrade to for $19.95.
These are the best file managers for PC and the finest Windows explorer alternatives. Most of these alternatives of Windows 10 file explorer are available for free.
If you have any other file explorer software in your mind then please share it in the comment section.
Which is the best free file manager for PC?
Answer: Explorer++ and File Voyager are the best free software to manage files on Windows PC.
Can I download an alternative File Explorer on Windows?
Answer: Yes, you can download and install 3rd party file explorer on Windows PC.
How do I manage files in Windows?
Answer: The file organizer programs will help you manage files on Windows PC.
How can I analyze the Storage of files and folders?
Answer: File commander has a feature to analyze the storage space taken by files and folders.
Priyanka Sharma is a technical content writer at SoftAppWorld. Her keen interest is in testing different kinds of software and writing reviews about them. Her goal is to help people with software reviews and how-to guides. In her free time, she likes to create different kinds of sketches and designs. You can find her on Twitter