Using the best app to track phone usage you can monitor and get usage reports for different apps on your mobile. These phone usage tracker apps are available for both iPhone and Android.
If you want to fight your social media addiction then the app usage tracker feature in these apps will work for you. Here I am going to explain the best mobile usage tracker apps to monitor your smartphone usage.
I am going to divide this article into 2 parts, first I will explain the apps for iPhone and then for Android.
- For iPhone
- For Android
6 Best Phone Usage Tracker Apps For iPhone
- WaRadar – App Usage Tracker
- Offtime iPhone Usage Tracker
- Moment App Usage Tracker
- BreakFree Phone Usage Tracker
These are the recommended apps on the internet to track app usage on iPhones. But I could not test them because I don’t have an iPhone. Also, on their official websites and Apple store pages of these phone usage tracker apps for iPhone, I did not find satisfactory information.
The best way to monitor screen time on your iOS device is the built-in “Screen Time” feature by Apple.
How to track phone usage on iPhone:
Step 1: Open settings on your iPhone.
Step 2: Now go to “Screen Time“.
Step 3: Here turn on the Screen Time and tap continue.
Step 4: Now choose “This is my iPhone”.
Note: You can track app usage on all of the apple devices with this feature just scroll down and enable “share across devices“.
That is it, now the Screen Time app will start tracking your app usage. You can see the phone usage report on your iPhone in the Screen Time app. Just go to Settings and open Screen Time and then click “See All Activity”.
Now the app will show you the daily and weekly app usage on your iPhone.
7 Best Apps To Track Phone Usage on Android
1. StayFree- Stay Focused
Downloads: 5 Million
When I installed this app, it required me to grant permission for “App Usage” which I think every app in this category will ask. This is one of the best apps to track phone usage on Android phones.
Using this mobile usage tracker app you can see the minutes and percentages of every app you have used.
- You can set a usage limit in this app. When you set a usage limit for an app then StayFree will send you a notification if you cross the limit.
- The app also allows you to add daily usage goals for a particular app. If you don’t meet the goals to use an app then the app will send you a nudge.
- It also has a “Global usage” section in which you will see how much time other users spend on an app. This way you can compare your app usage and decide if you are using an app too much or not.
- StayFree also allows you to download the usage report in the .csv format.
- With this app usage tracker, you can also connect to other devices.
Downloads: 1 Million
This is one of the best phone usage tracker apps for Android mobile. It has a very beautiful and easy-to-use user interface. Similar to the previous app on the list it will also ask you to grant some permissions. But the only necessary permission is the “App Usage”. You will have to give this permission and you can avoid others.
This mobile usage tracker has some interesting features that I am going to explain next.
- It has a Dashboard feature that tells you the summary of your phone usage.
- In this app, you will find the Challenges feature which makes this app more interesting. You can set up challenges for yourself and see if you can keep them up.
- It allows you to set 3 types of challenges i.e.1 hour no phone, 2 hours app fasting, 20 minutes diet challenge. These challenges are for the Basic level.
- It has 3 levels i.e. Basic, Moderate and Advanced. Moderate and Advanced levels are tougher.
- In this app, you will also find a stories section where you can read and write inspiring stories.
- In the report’s sections, you can see Daily, Weekly, and Monthly phone usage. You can see the Daily usage in the free version and for weekly and monthly usage you need to upgrade to the pro version.
The best thing I like about this app is that it has a wonderful Profile section where you can see the summary of your phone usage.
Under your profile, it will also show your Addiction level (smartphone addiction), mine was obsessed.
3. App Usage – Manage/Track Usage
Downloads: 1 Million
This is one of the best app usage trackers for Android phones. I have tested this app and found that it gives a more detailed analysis than any other app. As the name suggests it will tell you the app usage and help you manage your smartphone usage.
- Usage History: In this, you will get a timeline feature that tells you when and how long you have used an app.
- Category: This will tell you the time spent on a specific category of apps i.e. productivity, social & communication, News & Magazines, etc.
- Location History: In this phone usage tracker app you will also find an option to see your location history.
- Heatmap View: It will help you to identify the time when you overused your phone.
- Dashboard: Here you can set a Goal for not using your phone and if your app usage exceeds the goal the app will send you a notification.
- Usage History: In this section, you will get information in the form of tiles. Every tile will show the app icon and the time you used it on a day.
- In this app usage tracker, you will also find a section for “Most used apps“.
4. Screen Time – Restrain yoursel
Downloads: 1 Million
Another on the list of the best phone usage tracker apps is “Screen Time – Restrain yoursel”. The app has a good number of downloads on the Google Play Store.
The app has a very simple user interface. All you have to do is install the app and give the required permissions and it will start showing you the usage reports for different apps on your phone.
- Daily Usage: Here you will find the daily usage of your phone. Here you will see a section mentioned “Today” where you can see the screen time of the present day. It will tell you the total usage and app usage in different categories. Also here you will find a section of “Most used” where all the apps will be listed in descending order according to their screen time.
- Last 7 Days: Here, you can see the app usage in the last 7 days.
- App Lock: this is an advanced feature that allows you to lock an app if you exceed the time limit. You need to set a time limit in the app and it will start counting the screen time. Once the limit is reached the app will be locked.
- App Usage Detail: This mobile usage tracker app also allows you to fully analyze the screen time of a particular app.
5. Screen Time Digital Wellbeing
One of my favorite apps to track phone usage is “Screen Time Digital Wellbeing”. I like this app because of its Real-Time App Usage Tracker feature. Other mobile usage tracker apps on the list will show you the usage report when you open them. And if you find that you have overused an app then you can do nothing but regret it. But with this app, you can see app usage in real-time and stop yourself if you overuse it.
- See the list of the apps you have used Today and their screen time.
- You can also see the daily time in each of your apps.
- If you want you can block your phone any time of the day.
- The app will also show you positive messages if you are improving (i.e. today’s phone usage is better than your average time)
- It has a feature to show a bubble over other apps while you are using them. This bubble will tell you the real-time usage for that app (but you will have to give the required permissions for it)
- The app will remind you if you are overusing an app.
6. ActionDash: Screen Time Helper
Downloads: 1 Million
ActionDash: Screen Time Helper is one of the best phone usage tracker apps for Android. The app is different than other app usage trackers in the list because it has some unique features.
- See screen total time, unlocks, and notifications.
- Set a limit for particular app usage and the app will send you a reminder if you exceed the limit.
- The app has a notification feature that is unique. This feature will list all the apps and notifications they get in a day.
- It also has a comparison screen that shows you the global usage of an app so, you can compare if you are using too much.
7. Digital Detox
Digital Detox is another popular app to track phone usage on your Android Phone. This app is available globally. Like other mobile usage tracker apps, you need to enable permission for “Allow usage tracking” (don’t worry the app will automatically take you to the settings in your mobile where you can enable it).
When you enter the app the first screen you will see is the “Digital Detox” button. Here you can take a challenge by not using your mobile for a time period.
For starters, you can take digital detox for 10 minutes and lock your phone. After this, your screen will appear with some messages with tips to avoid the use of your mobile.
The tips that I saw were, taking a walk, and playing with my pet. If you complete the challenges you will see a pop-up with congratulations screens. These small gestures will motivate you.
- Using this app you can schedule the detox
- In this app, you will find a chart of usage for different apps.
- This app will help you quit your smartphone addiction.
These are the best phone usage tracker apps for Android and iPhone to limit your smartphone usage. These mobile usage tracker apps will help you deter your smartphone and social media addiction.
I hope this article helped you find the best app to track phone usage. If you like the article please share it with your friends on social media. If you have any suggestions then please use the comments section.
Priyanka Sharma is a technical content writer at SoftAppWorld. Her keen interest is in testing different kinds of software and writing reviews about them. Her goal is to help people with software reviews and how-to guides. In her free time, she likes to create different kinds of sketches and designs. You can find her on Twitter